Port au Prince

Port au Prince
"He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." Psalm 40:2

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Never say never

I never thought I’d treat a single patient for typhoid, malaria, and parasites.

I never thought I’d be giving report about the patients in French to a Haitian Creole doctor or to serve as a translator for my colleagues.

I never thought I would see my pastor on his hands and knees plumbing a sink.

I never thought I’d get to pray individually with 30 patients.

I never thought I’d eat so much Ramen and drink so little milk.

I never thought I’d deprive one patient of oxygen to give it to another.

I never thought I’d walk around showing off the worm that wiggled out of my patient’s nose to escape from the heat of her fever.

I never thought I’d let someone die without giving him anything but a prayer.

I never thought I’d come to love a country of people that I have only just met.

-- Grace

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and so sad. Keep up the good work and spirits!! you are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! God leads us along paths we never thought we would tread but His grace makes it worthwhile! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete