Port au Prince

Port au Prince
"He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." Psalm 40:2

Monday, August 16, 2010

Eat. Serve. Paint.


After our journeys to Haiti and through Port au Prince and the mountains on Sunday we found ourselves sitting down for a beautiful and delicious home-cooked Haitian meal that simply had to be photographed! (the pics were blurry, so we will take more!)Pastor Duplussey and his wife are generous, kind and gracious hosts.

After our first workday of painting, laughing, sweating and listening to Candace's amazing voice--the one word that keeps coming to my mind when we have time to stop and think is “overwhelming.” My first view standing outside the airport at Port au Prince included watching a flow of traffic that reminds me a bit of Massachusetts Avenue at rush hour—just remove the stoplights and much of the pavement, throw in a few random UN vehicles, lots of small motorcycles with 2-3 riders, and keep the number of lanes continually flexible, and that is a very basic picture. As we drove through Port au Prince, it is not so much what we were seeing as the endlessness of it that left me wondering how much could fit into one place. I become a spectator flying by--or stuck in traffic watching it pass by. Pictures do not seem adequate--the sounds, smells and interactions are lost--not to mention the careening ride through mountain roads into Jacmel! (don't tell mom)

The people seem quiet, curious and watchful. The children are smiling and bold. A simple greeting is often all that is needed for a softening of the eyes and echoed response. Our host and hostess have introduced us to a bit of the culture, food and humor, and I have a feeling that they are being very thoughtful and considerate of ours. I am blessed to be with such a gifted and caring team of individuals and look forward to what the rest of the week will bring. I believe that there will be much to learn, much to process, much taken away, and much left behind. I hope and pray that this is so.



Blessings,

Jill
Team Jacmel

No comments:

Post a Comment