Port au Prince

Port au Prince
"He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." Psalm 40:2

Monday, July 16, 2012

Orphanage Day One


As our group woke up this morning, the feeling of anticipation to get back to the orphanage was contagious. After a slow first couple of days getting into to the Haitian rhythm, the group seemed to be extremely animated during the van trip to King’s Hospital this morning. We started off the morning with a well-executed VBS that focused on the story of Zaccheaus that was about overcoming obstacles. The VBS was followed up with a fun activity for the kids involving a large tree that was drawn on a piece of fabric and we gave each of the children a leaf made from paper and had them write down any prayers or thoughts they had pertaining to the VBS. I think, today, the whole group got a strong sense of how much these kids need love and affection. After engaging in conversation with some of the children, they have no problem climbing on you or pulling you towards the playground or jumping right on your lap. I met a girl named Sarah li today and she wanted me to push her on the merry-go-round so after doing that for a bit I went to play basketball with some of the kids and without me knowing, I got a little cut on the back of my leg. I didn’t find this out until Sarah Li came running over with a soupy cloth and wiped off the little speck of blood on my leg. I found this to be so amazing that she was so focused on this new person she met that when she saw that scratch, she made sure that she was going to help me out. We all cannot wait to go back to King’s tomorrow and see what tomorrow has in store for us. So far so good! More to come soon!  -Ty

No comments:

Post a Comment