Port au Prince

Port au Prince
"He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." Psalm 40:2

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Re-entry, missing routines

We arrived back in the states yesterday with a smooth day of travel.  It was difficult to say goodbye to our friends and hosts and will take a little time to adjust back to life at home.  I woke up on a Haiti schedule this morning, it was around 6am and I missed the stillness of Dr Morqutte's home.  Usually that time found me writing in the semi-dark of the empty living room with Evelyn starting breakfast.  As I wrote, I'd listen for signs that she was ready for help setting the table or signs that the first pot of espresso was ready.  I liked watching the house wake up, the bustle of getting 20 people ready to sit down to breakfast together and Dr Morquette calling us down to breakfast with a song.  There was a song he sang with us before every meal, once to get us gathered and then repeated with us.  It's a sweet song of blessing and we butchered the French ever time but I enjoyed the ritual of it.  I filmed our last meal together and it's posted below, don't judge us too harshly for our singing, it was early and we'd been up late packing.  The translation is, "Lord, You who give pasture to the little, little birds come and bless our food and purify our water.  Amen, amen." -Leslie


No comments:

Post a Comment