Port au Prince

Port au Prince
"He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." Psalm 40:2

Friday, July 31, 2015

Double feature: T-Shirts and Pizza

We had almost finished the shirts last night except for the ironing. We needed to iron them to set the color in so they would not bleed when washed. Unfortunatly when ever we tried to iron them there was no power. After much waiting the power came on and we were able to finish them just in time. Things seem to have a way of working out.

We were about to hand out the shirts when we realized we wanted to confirm with the Morquettes’ that they were appropriate to give to the children. We were a little worried after receiving a comment saying the shirts were “carnival” which is like mardi gras and can sometimes be seen negatively in the Christian community. But we doubled and tripled checked and we got the okay.

Valerie Morquette modeling a t-shirt made by the kids

When we handed out the shirts you could see how proud the children were. They had the biggest smiles and it was lovely to see how happy they were. Most of the kids put them on over their other clothes immediately.

After they received their shirts some of the kids preformed a short play they had learned with Stephanie.  And while the play was going on is started to slowly rain. In America it is usually a beautiful day when the sky is clear and the sun is out. But in Haiti there has been a drought and the short rain we experienced we perfect.  It felt like God was so happy to see his children together preforming.


Friday at King’s orphanage was more a day of celebration than of ruefulness that it was our last day there. We celebrated our time and work at King’s orphanage and hospital brought on by the grace of God. There was no lesson planned for the day, other than a short story from the children’s edition of the Bible. The day was primarily used to spend time with the children and to finish up some work at the hospital, with the exception of Mark beginning work on the shelves for the pharmacy. Because there was so little time to build the ten-unit shelf, it was decided that a model shelf was to be built along with the older boys at the orphanage, who would later complete the nine other shelves.  It was also a bit hectic in the morning because the t-shirts the children had made the day before had to be ironed so that the colors would be set. However, there was no power in the apartment for a while, but fortunately Carrie, Kate, and I were all able to get them ironed shortly after power returned.

After lunch, some of the children performed a short play organized by Stephanie and Carrie about the Good Samaritan, while wearing the t-shirts they had made. Both the performers and the audience loved it. In the afternoon, we hosted a pizza party for the children complete with Coke and Fruit Champagne. Mark had planned for Grace and me, who were chosen to get the pizza, soda, plates, napkins, and cups, to spend only an hour. However, he forgot to incorporate the “Haitian time” factor, which turned our one-hour trip to three hours. We ended up going to three different places to get the supplies, stopping at the house three times for various reasons, and stopping at two local stores for unknown reasons. But nevertheless, the pizza party turned out to be a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment